Interesting facts related to the President of India
Some Interesting facts related Presidents of India is listed below
- There have been 14 Presidents of India since the post was established when India was declared as a republic with the adoption of the Indian constitution in 1950.
- Apart from these fourteen, three acting presidents have also been in office for short periods of time.
- V.V.Giri became the acting president in 1969 after Zakir Hussain, died in office. Giri was elected president a few months later. He remains the only person to have held office both as a president and acting president.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India, is the only person to have held office for two terms.
- Seven presidents have been members of a political party before being elected. Six of these were active party members of the Indian National Congress. The Janata Party has had one member, Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, who later became president.
- Two presidents, Zakir Husain, and Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed have died in office.
- The 12th President, Pratibha Patil, is the first woman to hold the office, elected in 2007.